Merovingian sarcophagus

In the Church of Saint-Etienne of Floure, was found in the 19th century a christian sarcophagus from the Merovingian period.

It corresponds of the time of the High Middle Ages. It is marble, with sculpted scrollworks.

This Merovingian Tomb of white marble from Saint Béat (H.G.) is restored at the expense of the French archaeological society. This precious remain of the Gallo-Roman period was found in the Church of Saint-Etienne in Floure, incerted in the midi wall, between the sanctuary and the nave.

The Floure sarcophagus was carved from a single block of marble; the sculptures on the anterior side represent stalks of vines intertwined with grace and decorated with leaves and fruits. The right and left sides are adorned with three points leaves representing an image somewhat similar to the Fleur de Lys. There was an inscription in the Church which corresponded to the posterior side of the Tomb it was hiding the tomb and for this reason this side is devoid of ornaments. This inscription is still visible in the Church. This christian sarcophagus could go back from the 5th or 6th century.

The tomb was removed by the agent-voyer Malric, on the order of Mr the Mayor of Floure, at the request of Mr Cros-Mayrevieille in 1843. It is currently on display in room VI of the Museum of the Castle Comptal, in the Cité of Carcassonne. It is important to clarify that this sarcophagus still belongs to our commune.

 

Photo credits: Ferron - Ministry of Culture (France) - architecture and heritage - NMR diffusion library